Friday, September 11, 2009

Sixth in the series of The Hospital Lectures

Well, here we are again. I went to the pharmacy two days ago complaining of a fever, and they bent me over and stabbed me with a needle in the rear. That seems to be a common trend here. I didn't know that they could do that at pharmacies. You learn something new everyday. I immediately felt the fever breaking; man, those shots really work. It was a very fun trip limping back home and up the three flights of stairs. It was made even more fun by the fact that all of the little kids on my street know my name and were calling out, "Tom and Jerry! Tom and Jerry!" I blame Michael because he introduced me to one of them. Then it spread like fire.

Yesterday the drug wore off so I headed out to the hospital after languishing on my deathbed for hours. This hospital is exclusively for fever patients, and is literally named The Hospital of Fevers. I got there around 7:30PMish, and was seen pretty soon. By seen, I mean that I went for an examination where the nurse stuck something in my ear for less than a second, put her hand on my cheek, and pronounced that I had a fever while writing down a random number on my chart. That cost one Egyptian pound, or about eighteen cents. For only three more pounds they wanted me to get an analysis. Sure thing, except that because it's Ramadan the lab was closed until 9PM. Ramadan is kind of wearing on my patience, and I'm not even fasting. So I walked to another lab, and they were closed too. I came back and laid/sat/stood there for an hour and a half until the lab opened. Great, now the analysis is done, the doc prescribes me something, and I head back to the pharmacy. Now we're in business, right? Wrong. I ask the pharmacist what the pills are for, and he says for sore throat, etc., and basically lists a whole bunch of symptoms that I don't have. In the end I just downed some fever reducer and started feeling a million times better.

Who doesn't love going to the hospital?

Anyway, yesterday I was chatting with Molly and had to end it by telling her that I was too tired to type anymore, so I'm glad to be on my feet today. Good old fever reducer. The best part is that a pharmaceutical student that I know from the dorms was the one who prescribed it for me, via text message. Oh yeah.

1 comment:

  1. Once again Tom I am worried that you will die in some hospital in Egypt when they mistake tomato sauce for blood and give you a good tasting but deadly IV...come back to the promised land, That's what the BoM calls it anyways...

    ReplyDelete